Friday 19 August 2011

The Birds and the Bees, and a Frog in the Toilet

Something has started to happen in the valley - while the weather is cool it feels like it is getting warmer. The Liquid Amber tree in the side yard has started gaining leaves, and there are a bees everywhere. There are Black Cockatoo munching on the native trees and the grass has started getting greener. There is also movement on the reptile front, one neighbour has seen four snakes, and another has seen Goannas on the hunt. We have only just started to hear the frogs and have been washing them out of the homegrown cabbage. When the snakes wake I think they will think Jamie Durie has done a makeover while they were shopping. All this means we are having an early Spring.

The Cottage's Living Room
As mentioned before, Heather stays with us every two months. While vacuuming the cottage where she stays I heard a very strange noise. I called Myles over so he could hear it - it was some sort of animal, and sounded like it was in the bathroom. A quick search revealed nothing and so we decided it must have been from the ceiling cavity. I got a broom and banged the ceiling to see if this would reveal anything. Nothing. We got the ladder out and gingerly peaked through the manhole in the ceiling. Nothing - but new insulation! I decided that it might have left because of the noise we were making.

Back in the house, while surfing the internet, I wondered if there was a site for Australian wildlife noises - there was. And after hearing some samplers I realised the sound was from a East Corn Froglet. Myles joined me in the search for the critter - who was going to be in a wet part of the bathroom. Careful studying of shower revealed nothing. I looked into the toilet and commented that it would need a spruce up before Heather arrived. I flushed it a couple of times. Out popped a huge frog from the toilet rim - giving me the biggest scare. To say I was 'dignified' would be unkind to that word - I screamed like a girl grabbing my heart. For gods sake it is just a frog!

Myles attempted to flush the frog into the septic - he was successful. When Heather arrived we told her about the frog - she was unimpressed with Myles flushing the frog. "What a way to go - could you imagine dying in a place like that?" She commented,and Heather had a very good point. The next day when Heather was leaving she informed us the frog was back in the loo. Whew!

Now I know why the cottage is completely free of insects and spiders. The frog has been doing it's work and eating everything. As such it will be left in peace until the next person stays with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment