Friday 18 March 2011

Myles' Folly, and My Lemon Meringue Pie

After coming home from dinner at the neighbour's place on Wednesday night I was shocked to see a Black Whip Snake curled up at the front door. Myles just walked over it not noticing it was there. I followed him and freaked as I jumped halfway across but had to keep going. Only that day I had commented to Myles that I was useless at spotting camouflaged snakes and he told me to get my eyes checked, again. Well Myles didn't believe that a snake was at the front door, or that he had walked over it - so went outside and checked. Looking a little po faced he agreed there was a snake.

Well Mr Smarty Pants, you didn't see a black snake, on pale pavers, with a light beamed directly on it! Who needs the glasses?

Myles decided the snake need to be relocated and got a spade to flick it away. I told him that it wasn't a good idea - just leave it alone and it will leave. He didn't take my advice and flicked the snake away and jumped back inside. I asked him "how'd that work for you?"<insert sarcasm> and he said that he thought it had left but he would check. I told him to stay inside because if it hadn't left it would be pretty pissed off. Again he didn't listen and went outside only to be confronted by a pissed off snake who wanted revenge. He jumped inside, slammed the door shut and locked it - because we all know snakes are master lock-picks!

There are 2 morals to that story 1. Steve is always right and 2. don't play with snakes after a few drinks.

To today: I killed a frog - I didn't mean too! I was brush-cutting near the front dam and the blade hit a huge frog, killing it instantly.  So that means I have killed one goat, one snake, a wallaby, and now a big frog. I don't think Wires (Australian Wildlife Rescue Organisation) is going to accept me in their club.

We have been invited to another neighbour's for dinner tonight. Myles told everyone that I would make a dessert for the evening, somehow I have gotten a reputation for making dessert. Looking through the cupboards I decided to make a Lemon Meringue Pie - which is a little silly because I have never done it before. My Mother used to make it every so often and even perfected it in the microwave - yes it is possible but not as nice as the baked variety. I know the basic theory but still read several recipes and blogs on the topic - to ensure mine would be 'perfection'.

First I had to make the base - Short Crust Pastry. Easy, mix flour, butter, salt, egg, and sugar. Then refrigerate, and rest it. Roll it and then place in the tray - making sure the pastry is not stretched.

To make the filling I did it the hard way. I read people used condensed milk, or cornflour. Instead I made the filling as you would make a hollandaise sauce - whisking it on a double boiler. Eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and butter. It thickened beautifully and tasted wild. I read that everything needs to hot when putting the pie together - or seepage occurs. That meant I had to be watching the pastry cook while whisking the filling and planning on the meringue.

After filling the pie shell with the lemon custard, and putting it in the oven, I whisked up the meringue. My arm is still a little tired from doing it. When the pie filling was cooked I chucked on the meringue and baked it in the oven for another 15 minutes.

It looks yummy. Hopefully the neighbours will like it.

1 comment:

  1. Is everything ok Mr Jones? We've not see anything from you in a while. Have the snakes taken over?

    ReplyDelete